Many industries follow regulations to introduce safety and consistency into their practices. The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) offers some of these standards for various sectors to verify their processes. Many companies choose to follow these standards to ensure the quality of their product, and with HunterLab spectrophotometers, meeting ASTM standards is within reach.
What Is the American Society for Testing and Materials?
The American Society for Testing and Materials, known as ASTM International, is an organization that publishes production and testing standards for various industries. These standards cover multiple materials, systems and products to encourage consistency and safety among manufacturers.
ASTM International offers training to keep up with their standards and ensure the best performance on the job. From industry-specific continued training to onsite certification programs, ASTM provides plenty of resources to companies who want or need to remain compliant.
What Are ASTM Standards and Who Follows Them?
The ATSM standards cover several processes in manufacturing and technical industries, and each requirement falls into a specific category. The ASTM standards list includes:
- Terminology: A basis for all standards, the terminology section defines all essential phrases, words and acronyms.
- Specification: This section describes the requirements a material, system or service must meet. Specifications can include chemical and physical properties and performance standards.
- Test method: These regulations describe how manufacturers should test their products and what results they should expect. This process may include measurement processes and characteristic evaluations.
- Classification: In this area, ASTM categorizes materials, systems and services based on shared characteristics.
- Practice: ASTM provides a specific set of instructions for certain procedures to maintain a general practice in an industry. This section does not incur a result like the test method section.
- Guide: Rather than instructions, the guide offers suggestions for practices. Guide standards provide a sense of direction without outlining rigid requirements.
These standards apply to industries like:
- Food processing
- Medical devices
Within these technical industries, standards ensure consistent production and quality across companies. With proven reliability, consumers and other businesses can trust these products will do their job and do so safely. ASTM standards for food and medical supplies are excellent examples of high-risk environments where regulation is critical.
Is ASTM Compliance a Legal Requirement?
ASTM does not enforce compliance as part of a legal requirement. Most industries adopt these standards by choice rather than through government enforcement. However, corporations, governments or contracts can require them. In the United States, all toy production requires ASTM compliance as part of the Consumer Product Safety Act. This act includes restrictions on lead and phthalates and outlines needed testing. The exact specifications are outlined under ASTM F-963.
Meet ASTM Standards With HunterLab
Defining and clarifying color can play a role in ATSM standards, and with HunterLab, you can reach these standards with ease. Our selection of spectrophotometers removes human subjectivity from color definition, allowing your products to meet quality standards outlined by ASTM International. Explore our inventory or contact our team for more information.
Mr. Philips has spent the last 30 years in product development and management, technical sales, marketing, and business development in several industries. Today, he is the global market development manager for HunterLab, focused on understanding customer needs, providing appropriate solutions and education, and helping to solve customer color challenges across these industries and cultures.